Tuesday 7 October 2014

With Thanksgiving around the corner................

Brine for the turkey    (See pictures on the next post)

depending on the size of your bird I use a cooler because I normally cook a 15-20 lb bird

2 days before you cook your bird make this awesome brine and soak your turkey in it. You can use this if you are cooking a chicken.

6 cups boiling water
2 bags of ice
1 cinnamon stick
3 tbsp cracked pepper
1 1/2 cup salt
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 sprigs fresh sage,thyme,parsley
2 onions
2 carrots      all just rough chopped
2 celery ribs
2 tbsp poultry seasoning
1 star anise

dissolve sugar and salt in the boiling water. pour into cooler
add all spices and herbs
add raw veggies.
mix well making sure sugar and salt is dissolved.
add 2 bags of ice  Stir around
add turkey.  I put a plate and a brick on my turkey to keep in submerged.
I add 6-10 cups of cold water after ice melts so the turkey is completely covered.
I put freezer packs into freezer bags inside the cooler to keep the cooler cold. store in a cool place.

On the day you are going to cook your turkey take it out of the brine and rinse it.
I stuff my turkey with a traditional stuffing (but add bacon fat)
place my turkey in a roaster sprinkle it with poultry seasoning and wrap it in bacon.

start the roasting off at 400 degrees for 25 mins and reduce the heat to 325. remember 20 mins per pound. uncover the last 20 mins for a nice crispy,golden skin

No comments:

Post a Comment