Friday 8 August 2014

Another day of decisions.............. Crab cakes, couscous salad,tempura veggies ?

Well as my little guys sits and watches cartoons and eats his dry shreddies, I am sitting in front of the laptop with a hot cup of coffee trying to decide what to cook today.
It rained most of the early morning and now looks like it is going to be a gorgeous but hot day again what do I cook today is my thought.
I am thinking pasta salad and crab cakes for supper or maybe a bunch of veggies in tempura batter or a couscous salad and bbq'd meat. The options are endless..............

Crab cakes

because I live on the prairies and in a rural community where fresh isn't readily available I use canned but if you live where you can get good fresh please use it instead.

serves 4-6 and at my house I have to double this if everyone is home.

olive oil
1 med.onion finely minced
2 cloves of garlic finely minced  I use roasted garlic if I have it.
3 cans of crab meat make sure it has 15% or more of claw meat There are 2 sizes of cans, I buy the bigger of the 2.
1 cup of bread crumbs  I use the seasoned panko crumbs by Presidents choice.
1 egg
2 tablespoons goat cheese and if you don't like goat cheese use mayonnaise
juice from 1/2 lemon
zest from 1/4 lemon
salt
pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne


in a hot frying pan  medium heat  put your oil, onions,garlic cook til onions are caramelised 5-10 mins
In a large bowl put cooked onions,crabmeat,bread crumbs,egg,goat cheese,lemon juice,zest and cayenne
mix until blended well.
shape the mixture into 6 fat cakes just like you were making a burger. If mixture is a little too loose add a bit more bread crumbs.
place on a plate and chill for about 2 hours.
heat a frying pan on medium heat with a tsp of butter and a tsp of olive oil. fry each side of cake until you get a nice crisp crust. about 3-4 mins on each side.

serve with a chile mayonnaise
1 cup mayo
1/2 a chili pepper finely minced
zest/juice of 1 lime
salt
pepper
1 tsp of chilula or your favorite hot sauce
mix together and chill until ready to serve.

Enjoy with a salad or as an appetizer




No comments:

Post a Comment