Monday 11 August 2014

Baked mac and cheese

So when I know we are having some picky kids for the day I will make this mac & cheese.
I don't have a ton of time everyday if we have daycare,sports,dance etc but this dish fills the kids bellies and keeps them happy. I serve it with a side salad or veggies & dip.

bake at 350 for 15 minutes covered  5 minutes uncovered


1 lb bag of elbow macaroni I use 1/2 w.heat and 1/2 white
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups of shredded cheese
1/4 tsp of cayenne
1 cup of milk
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs  I use the seasoned version from president's choice
1/4 cup of cooked bacon
3 tbsp parmesan cheese
pinch salt and pepper
cook macaroni but don't over cook. leave abit of a bite to it.drain  set aside

in a sauce pan put in butter and melt
add flour,cayenne,salt,pepper  stir together and let your flour cook a minute or two.
add a 1/4 of your milk and stir
add 1/2 cheese and mix, alternating milk and cheese until you have a creamy cheese sauce.
put 1/2 macaroni in a greased 9x13 pan
add 1/2  cheese sauce  mix
add remainder of macaroni
add cheese sauce  mix
sprinkle panko and bacon,parmesan over the top


No comments:

Post a Comment